Day 9 of my 30-Day Self Care Challenge was to make a list of the things that make you happy. I stuck that in there because it can be hard to consider the positives when life can be so difficult for us. Sometimes, it feels like those positive things don’t even exist. When every day is a constant struggle, it’s important to take a step back and think about what brings you joy. Why? Because it can give you hope.
Obviously, making this list is not easy. I wouldn’t have been able to complete this challenge in high school. So before you read my list, I’d like to offer some tips for making your own:
- Write it or type it. Being able to save the list might help you in the future. You’ll also be able to see how many things you were able to come up with, which can give you some hope.
- Try not to judge yourself. No one will read this except for you and whoever you share it with.
- Write from a hopeful perspective. If nothing is making you happy right now, what would make you happy? What will make you happy in the future? I love Halloween, but it’s the middle of January. That might not help me now, but it will in October.
Pin this for later!
Here is my list of the things that make me happy! Items in italics are things that I don’t experience frequently due to timing or other circumstances, but will make me happy once I experience them.
- Cold apple cider
- Broadway shows
- Listening to acoustic covers
- Puppies on Instagram
- Thai food
- Experiencing other cultures
- Looking at 90’s nostalgia posts on Facebook and being old enough to remember them
- My fur babies, Jake and Sammy
- My sister’s cat, Annabelle
- Bob’s Burgers
- Discovering new shows on Netflix
- Successfully finishing a workout
- Domino’s Chocolate Lava Cakes (not even a sponsored name-drop. I just love Domino’s)
- Seeing the stats on my blog going up
- Autumn leaves
- Seeing old friends
- Making new friends
- Being involved with Girl Scouts
- Watching my sisters succeed
- Watching dance videos online
- Taking samples from tea stores in the mall
- Trying a new nail art pattern from Pinterest and actually somewhat succeeding
- Getting likes on my Facebook posts
- Walking into gift shops
Remember, some of the items on my list are things I hardly ever experience. I haven’t swam since September, and I’ve never flown to another country (yet). I included them because if I did those things right now, they’d make me happy.
There is always room for things to get better. I hope you find a reason to smile today.